Morena’s my entrepreneurial Journey

I have always had a sweet tooth and a deep passion for baking. Since I started baking I liked the precision and creativity involved in baking, and has helped me decompress after a long day. This love for baking inspired me to share my creations with others, leading to a small entrepreneurial venture. During the pandemic, my sister and I seized the opportunity to expand our business, exploring new products and innovative ways to connect with our customers. Baking isn’t just a hobby for me; it’s a joy I intend to nurture and continue pursuing.

Passion for baking

Over the past few years, my professional journey has primarily revolved around administrative roles. Nevertheless, I always had a passion for baking and creating an experience from a sweet treat. From a young age, I saw my grandmother use food as a language of care and affection in my family and neighbours. After school I would spend time with her in the kitchen, learning the secrets of her cooking, and this sparked my interest in baking. It soon became more than a hobby; it became a source of joy and creativity. I enjoyed baking for family and friends on special occasions, experimenting with new recipes to clear my mind, or simply treating myself to something sweet. This passion led me to pursue baking classes and eventually launch my own bakery business. Through this venture, I not only honed my baking skills but also discovered the joy of sharing my creations with others. Whether celebrating birthdays with classmates, fostering bonds in the workplace, or unwinding after a long day, baking has always been my sanctuary—a way to relax, connect, and spread happiness through homemade treats.

Morena’s Box

During the pandemic, my sister and I recognized a unique opportunity to bring joy and sweetness directly into people’s homes. With widespread mobility restrictions and the rising popularity of supporting small businesses in Guatemala, we launched “Morena’s Box.” This product aims to deliver sweet treats tailored for various occasions, such as Christmas, Mother’s Day, and celebrations like anniversaries or graduations. Each box was carefully curated Each box was carefully curated, featuring our own baked goods and products sourced from local partners such as coffees, honey, and cheeses, ensuring a personalized experience that catered to our customers’ needs and enhanced their celebrations.  This attention to detail helped us ensure a memorable experience, allowing recipients to enjoy our creations not only as a gift but also during virtual gatherings over Zoom. This innovative approach not only helped us carve a niche in the market but also significantly expanded our clientele.

From oven to Office

My experience with Morena’s Bakery entrepreneurship has equipped me with valuable transferable skills that seamlessly translate into business administration and supply chain management. Running Morena’s Box during challenging times demanded strong organizational skills as we managed inventory, coordinated deliveries, and ensured timely customer service. This experience has not only enriched my baking passion but has also equipped me with valuable sales and customer service skills, making me confident that I can contribute positively to promotional efforts. It also helped me learn on a small scale the ability to handle logistics effectively, managing partnerships with local suppliers taught me negotiation and relationship-building skills. In terms of business administration, overseeing day-to-day operations, marketing initiatives, and customer relations enhanced my strategic thinking and problem-solving abilities. Morena’s Bakery helped me explore my entrepreneurial spirit and also provided me with skills transferable to business environments.